Privacy Policy – Healthier & Wealthier Helpline


How Citizens Advice County Durham will collect your data

We’ll get your permission by asking you to give agreement over the phone.

Before we ask for your permission, we’ll always explain how we use your information.

If you’ve been referred to us from another advice charity or GP, they’ll send us your information using a referral form. They’ll get your permission before sending us your information.



What Citizens Advice County Durham will ask for

To find out what information we ask for, see our national Citizens Advice privacy policy


How Citizens Advice County Durham will use your information

To find out how we use your information, see our national Citizens Advice privacy policy

Working on your behalf

When you give us authority to act on your behalf, for example to help you with a Universal Credit claim, we’ll need to share information with that third party.

How Citizens Advice County Durham will store your information

To find out how we store your information, see our national Citizens Advice privacy policy


How Citizens Advice County Durham will share your information

With your permission, we might share your information with other organisations so we can:

  • help solve your problem – for example, if you ask us to contact your creditors we might need to share your name, address and financial details with them
  • refer you quickly to another organisation for more advice, if relevant
  • monitor the quality of our services

Organisations we share your data with must store and use your data in line with data protection law.

There might be specific organisations we share your information with, depending on what service you access.



Contact Citizens Advice County Durham about your information

If you have any questions about how your information is collected or used, you can contact Citizen Advice County Durham

Switchboard: 0300 323 1000, open Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm and Friday 9am-4:30pm

You can contact us t0:

  • Find out what personal information we hold about you
  • Correct your information if it’s wrong , out of date of incomplete
  • Request we delete your information
  • ask us to limit what we do with your data – for example, ask us not to share it if you haven’t asked us already
  • ask us to give you a copy of the data we hold in a format you can use to transfer it to another service
  • ask us to stop using your information

Who’s responsible for looking after your personal information

The National Citizens Advice charity and your local Citizens Advice (Citizens Advice County Durham) operate a system called casebook to keep your personal information safe. This means they’re ‘joint data controller’ for your personal information that’s stored in our Casebook system.

Each local Citizens Advice is an indendent charity, and a member of the national Citizens Advice charity. The Citizens Advice membership agreement also requires that the use of your information complies with data protection law.

You can find out more about your data rights on the Information Commissioner’s website.